The main goals of the institute are:
- to promote and foster the teaching of Chinese language in Portugal;
- develop academics skills and public awareness about Chinese culture, and;
- facilitate contacts between Portugal and Portuguese academic institutions with their Chinese counterparts in the domains of linguistics, education, culture and business and to advance teaching and research activities that strengthen links between these two countries.
Within this framework it aims at fostering:
- the exchange between Portugal and China;
- the teaching of the Chinese language;
- the spread of Chinese culture;
- the ties between the Portuguese entrepreneurial community and their counterparts in China;
- the promotion of scholarships with China;
- a working relationship with other universities in the Lisbon Metropolitan Area.